Merry Maids of Scarborough
Merry Maids of Scarborough BLog
Vacuuming-The First Step in Carpet Care

Vacuuming-The First Step in Carpet Care


Vacuuming-The First Step in Carpet Care

History teaches us that regular and thorough vacuuming remains the single most important step you can take to maintain the appearance and serviceability of your home’s carpets.

Studies have shown that 85% of the contaminants tracked onto our carpets are considered dry, while the remaining 15% are classified as wet or oily. Agitated by constant foot traffic, unwanted dirt particles migrate deep into the carpet pile, causing irreversible damage to individual strands and fibres.

For the best vacuuming results, begin by picking up any clutter, including loose objects, or items larger than a dime. Starting in a far corner, employ a steady front-to-back motion with overlapping strokes, paying special attention to obvious traffic lanes.

While consistent, frequent vacuuming will remove many of the dry soils trapped in the carpet fibres, vacuuming alone is rarely enough. Regular restorative cleaning provided by a professional carpet cleaning company will ensure deep seated oily contaminants are solubilized and removed.

Regular vacuuming and cleaning will undoubtedly extend the life of your carpets, as well as improve indoor air quality by reducing the amount of dust, dander and other allergens.